Ex-PDP spokesman, Olisa Metuh, has offered to refund to the federal government, the N400 million he had received from the office of the National Security Adviser in the build up to the 2015 elections.
Metuh, who is facing trial at the Federal High Court, had said he did not know that the money given to him by the ONSA, when Sambo Dasuki was NSA, was meant for arms procurement.
He claimed ex-President Goodluck Jonathan gave him an assignment with the money.
Speaking through his lawyer, Emeka Etiaba, on Thursday, Metuh said at the time the money was released to him after his presentation to the ex-president, he had no knowledge of the source.
“Our client had every cause to believe that the money was from the ex-President to whom he made presentation, received directives and rendered report and accounts accordingly,” Mr. Etiaba said.
He also said it was while in court that a document was brought regarding the source of the money and he had indicated “his willingness to refund the money and has indeed approached his family, friends and associates to mobilize funds to refund the entire N400m to the government regardless of the fact that the money had been expended based on the directives of the former President and that part of the money had been recovered from one of the prosecution witnesses.”
Metuh, through his lawyer, is trying to meet the Ministry of Justice and EFCC on how to return the money.