Translate

Sunday 26 January 2014

CHAN 2014 : My players disappointed me - says Moroccan coach


Cape Town (S/Africa)- The Atlas Lions of Morocco Coach, Hassan Benabicha, said his players disappointed him during the quarter-final match with the Super Eagles in the ongoing Africa Nations Championship (CHAN).
The Lions lost 3-4 to Super Eagles of Nigeria after taking a 3-0 lead in the first half of the dramatic match played on Saturday.
Benabicha, who spoke through an interpreter, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Cape Town, South Africa, on Sunday that his players failed to hold on to their early lead.
He said his players could have consolidated on the lead and finish off the game in the second half.
“I am not disappointed with the result of the match. I am disappointed with my players because they were leading 3-0 only to later lose the game.
“This kind of opportunity rarely comes in a tournament like this. My team could have consolidated on their lead,’’ he said.
Benabicha said the Eagles’ ability to recover from the three goals deficit and win the match showed they were a good team.
“Let me congratulate the Nigerian team for such a good showing, having obtained such a wonderful result.
“At the interval in the dressing room, I told my players that the match was far from over as there was still a lot of work to be done.
“This is because the Nigerian team we are facing is one of the best teams in the continent.
“ I made a few changes after we conceded two goals in the second half but it will now appear from the result that it was a bit too late,’’ Benabicha said.
The coach said the team would go back to begin preparations for the Africa Cup of Nations, which Morocco would host in January 2015.
(NAN)

No comments:

Post a Comment