Translate

Wednesday 25 February 2015

80% of people who advise me have nothing to say – Jonathan

President Goodluck Jonathan has declared that more than 80 percent of his advisers have nothing to say. He stated this in Yenagoa, the capital of Bayelsa State, at a special funeral service for eight female politicians and their driver who died in a road accident on February 14.

Jonathan stated this in reaction to Governor Seriake Dickson’s disclosure that he was advised against organising a state burial for the deceased.

Jonathan said, “I was surprised when the governor said some people asked why state burial. I told the governor that more than 80% of people who come to advise you have nothing to say, but just listen to them.

“From my experience as a deputy governor till today, more than 80 per cent (of advisers) have nothing to say, but you listen to everybody and do what is right for our people”.

Describing the day of the accident as a black day which coloured the landscape of Bayelsa with the worst colour, the president said, “We are here today because of the sad event of February 14. Of course, we lost eight of our best.

“To me, it is not just that people have died, not just that Bayelsans have died. But these are people I know too well. These nine caskets contain the remains of people who were dear to me, people that touched me in one way or the other.

“Whenever I remember February 14, which was supposed to be a Valentine’s Day, but a black day that coloured the landscape of Bayelsa State with the worst colour we could ever imagine. My ADC gave me the information and my PA showed me the flaming bus on a handset. I asked myself ‘how could these people be in this flame?’ And I asked God why?”

Jonathan continued: “When I saw that flame and imagined that these women were being burnt and roasted, I just couldn’t imagine. Till today, it gives me migraine. I lack words to console the direct family members.

“The world is a stage where we have all come to play our part and go. I believe they have played their own part. I plead we reason they died in this circumstance probably so that we learn to be a little more careful”.

No comments:

Post a Comment