Translate

Saturday 18 April 2015

JESUS LOOKALIKE DOESN’T CARE ABOUT MONEY!

Reynier van Zyl is all set for a long journey. Photo by Siphelele Nketo

HE LOOKS like Jesus . . . and like the heavenly Son of God, he shows no interest in earthly possessions or money.

Sleeping next to road in the bush and only bathing in the waters of the ocean and rivers, many might mistake this mlungu for some Biblical saviour.

But Jesus didn’t have a bicycle, and if he did he certainly wouldn’t have thought of cycling from Cape to Cairo!

Yet this is exactly the plan of mlungu Reynier van Zyl (27), whom Daily Sun encountered on the road between Port St Johns and Lusikisiki. Dressed in nothing but pants and closed shoes, and sporting a long beard, Reynier said he decided to quit his job working for Daily Sun’s mother company Media24 at its Cape Town head office.

“I wasn’t happy in my job. My goal in life is to be happy and live every day as if it’s my last.

“My dream has been to travel and this allows me to get to know myself better,” said Reynier.

“My family supports my plan, and I told them I don’t need money. I also don’t take money from people but ask only for food and water.”

“I believe one should never waste time because when you are dead your time’s up.”

When asked if he can speak Xhosa, he said “kancinci” (just a little).

The mlungu said Pondoland had been a very interesting experience for him. He has been documenting his journey through an online blog.

“On Easter Weekend, a group of church women saw me and started cheering and clapping, saying I looked like Jesus! Kids also poke me and laugh, but I understand that they are not used to seeing someone like me.”

Reynier was on his way to a village outside Lusikisiki to stay with a friend for the week. Passersby told him that the village he mentioned was far away and that he should be wary of tsotsis, but he just smiled and thanked them.

“People this side have been shocked by me but also very warm. They have offered me shelter and food and others want to give me clothes.

“I declined their money because my journey is not about money. I want to see what is in the world.”

culled:http://www.dailysun.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment