Translate

Sunday 18 August 2013

I like them big and dangling ... - Lola Rae •Says my tattoos are from the Bible


Funmilola Rachel Garton, popularly known as Lola Rae, is a product of a mixed union-British father and Ghanaian mother-is set to storm the entertainment industry with her Afro Pop music. The “Watch My Tingo” crooner, in this interview with SEYI SOKOYA,  opens up on her mission to Nigeria, which she regarded as her home, fashion preferences and her music career.  Excerpts:
My sojourn abroad.
IT was not that I went abroad for greener pasture. I relocated with my family. My mum, who is a Ghanaian and my dad, English and they both lived and worked in Nigeria for 50 years. They met and got married ; my three sisters and I were born in Nigeria and we lived in the country for fifteen years. We had to go back to school, but my dad insisted that he wants to die in this country because he loves Nigeria and claims to be a Nigerian. We all have Nigerian passports and this is the only country that I really know, that was why I go by the name Funmilola Rachel Garton because I am a Nigerian. I was born in Obalende, Lagos and I am proud to be a Nigerian.
Journey into entertainment.
I have always had the passion for music which is my talent. I feel like adding to what the likes of Tiwa Savage, Seyi Shay, Omawuni, Waje and a host of others have been doing so well in the entertainment industry. It is a way of making a statement in a distinctive dimension and discharge my God-given talent right from my tender age. I am 22 years old and I am willing to showcase my talent as well as make the young ones realise that they have got one talent or the other to create jobs and opportunities. Just as Wizkid could be described as the young chap who is making waves in the entertainment scene, especially among the male counterparts, I want to represent the Wizkid of the female fold booming the industry too. He started as a kid and I also want to start as a kid (Laughs…).
Growing up.
Growing up was interesting. I had my primary education at the St. Saviours School and my secondary education at Lekki British International High School, Lagos State. I later moved to Ghana for a year because my grandma was sick and I eventually relocated to England for my university education, and the best country I lived in is Nigeria.
How I discovered my music talent.
I had always loved to be a great singer. Despite the fact that I was signed to a record label in England, I still had it at the back of my mind that I don’t want to live in England. My mum advised me to leave the record deal and go back to Nigeria since I had made up my mind to relocate to Nigeria. Along the line, I met a guy called Rotimi, who started training me for Nigerian music and as a result of that, I released a video entitled “Watch my Tingo,” which is doing well in the industry. Although, I do jazz purposely because you are going to see a lot of soul and jazz stuff, but I am more comfortable in Afro Pop. I love Asha and Lagbaja and lots of old school songs. I could regard them as my role models. In fact, I really love Lagbaja’s music; he used to come to my parents parties without his mask, He used to be a family friend. Although, I can’t remember his face again because at that time’, I was a baby, but my dad promised he would arrange it for us meet and I am still waiting for the day.
Why I relocated to Nigeria.
I was already going to move back to Nigeria. I only went to England for my university education and that was the main reason I went there and now, I am done. I studied Fashion at Central St. Martin’s College of Arts and Design. It was very hard, but I thank God for the success story. Obviously, with my deep experience, I make all my clothes and performing outfits myself and I am bringing all that I have learnt over there to Nigeria.
My experience with Nigerian music.
To me, the experience is really good. You see, Nigeria is a very difficult country because we don’t really have a structure at the moment. Music, especially at the main stream, is very new to us so we are all trying to create a structure. It is difficult, because sometimes you will want to give out the best of you but there is no room for such which makes it interesting. I strongly believe that the entertainment industry will find its place in terms of structure in no time, and we will not relent to attain a well structured system. I am 100 per-cent ready to face the music and the many challenges I may encounter. I have nothing to fear about. I was born here in Nigeria and I am used to the system because I was in the for so long. At present, I am launching my coming back with a big bang. I am really enthused to carve a niche for myself and affect the industry positively. My management is taking necessary steps to stamp my come back.
My Relationship with Beyonce.
I have no relationship with her; I’m just a fan of her musicality and marketing schemes. She is truly an inspiration. I have never referred myself as ‘Beyonce’ and never will I. There is only one Beyonce and that is all the world needs.
Do I feel threatened as a girl among female counterparts in the industry?
No. why should I? I don’t and I don’t think I will find any threat to make my way in the industry amidst the female counterparts. To me, I see it as a source of inspiration because we all draw from each other. Some of us really draw from Tiwa Savage because she opened the door for all of us in Afro Pop. So, I don’t find it as a threat rather I should build on the relationship and help one another. I actually met Tiwa Savage recently at a salon and she was very nice.
Assessment of the Nigerian entertainment industry.
I am really impressed that the industry is growing quickly and big. Sometime ago, an American programme, BET 106 & Park featured me as the video of the week, I wondered how they found our details because only American artistes participate in it. As the first African person, I was wondering how they found the video and that made me understand that African music is growing, especially the Nigerian entertainment industry and the whole world is noticing its vast development. I can say our industry is behind in some certain things compared to what we have abroad. As I said earlier, our structure needs more attention. In other countries there are music laws, but Nigeria doesn’t have that yet because it is all new and it can be formalised in no time, but that doesn’t mean that we are behind.
Take on collaboration.
It is a welcome development. It is a way of creating harmony among either frontline or upcoming artistes because this could also be a means to enhance growth of the industry. I have featured Iyanya, Seli Bobo and a gentleman called Banky W who has always been advising me and a host of other artistes. I want Nigerians to be at alert and be on the lookout for my works. At present, I am working on two singles.
Fashion and music.
The fact that I have a deep knowledge of what fashion entails has really helped me define my style and my performance on stage. I have been able to combine my costumes and God willing, I intend to establish an affordable fashion line.
Definition of style.
I don’t have a definite answer to that but it depends on my mood and how I chose to look in a particular day. I may decide to look glamorous or casual. But my style is always unique.
Description of self.
I am a quiet and a very shy person in real life, but I am a total different person on stage; I am very loud and wild on stage. I always enjoy doing my kick.
Choice of accessories.
Shoes and hair are necessary because you cannot go out bare footed and it is also good for you to have a nice hair style. I also love bags and make-up too.
Beauty regimen.
I have a make-up artiste; she is a Ghanaian, Queen Adasa. She gives me the entire beauty regimen just to make sure I treat my skin well.
Favourite designers.
I don’t really have a favourite designer. I usually go for whatever catches my eye. I love In Africa Clan, Re Bahia in Nigeria and a host of other fantastic designers such as April by Kunbi and Deola Sagoe, who is taking Nigeria fashion to New York and that is amazing.
Favourite colour.
I don’t like too bright colours. I always cherish cream and green. It is not that I hate bright colours, I usually don’t go for bright colours expect when I am on stage.
Fashion items I cannot do without.
There are lots of them. I cannot do without shoes, make-up and ear rings; I like them big and dangling.
Fashion items I cannot be caught dead wearing.
I cannot be caught dead wearing flat shoes, I only wear slippers in door and you will never find me wearing slippers outside because I am short and I need to fool people (Laughs…). Even on stage, I dance with my high heels, and I don’t miss my steps because we were trained for it.
What I do to keep my shape.
I am still trying to keep my shape. I have really lost weight, I was very big before I shot my video , but now I have lost weight. I have a trainer and my manager makes me eat well, she makes me eat salad, but when I am in Nigeria, I can be eating pounded yam.
Special treat.
I am always a busy person, but I have always treated myself in special way at my leisure by watching TV programmes as well as eating my favourite food, jollof rice and snail.
Opinion on cosmetic surgery.
I don’t think it is ideal, except that you need it for medical condition. I would advise you go for it, but changing your face just because of vanity is uncalled for. Be happy with the face God has blessed you with and that is my personal opinion.
Take on provocative dressing.
It is not ideal to dress provocatively. You have to be a responsible lady and cover up. But when it comes to entertainment, you have to give somebody a glimpse of dreamy essence, something that you cannot see people do every day. When it comes to our performance outfits, I try to make them glamorous and sexy, but we always try to make it decent as well. So, it is half and half because in the entertainment industry, you have to appeal to your fans and your audience, look good and be exceptional.
Tattoo.
My tattoos are from a Biblical passage, 1 Corinthians 13: 13: “Faith, hope and love.” Those three words are extremely powerful.
Greatest physical asset.
My nose has always been the sight of attraction. It is the first thing people always make comments about and I don’t know what is special about it. A lot of people always say I have a nice pointed nose.
Male admirers.
My manager handles them. The fact is that I don’t have a phone and everything goes through my manager. If anybody wants anything, it has to go through her. My manager, is always there and we are always together.
culled Nigeria Tribune

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite certain I'll learn many new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

    Check out my blog; kontol

    ReplyDelete