Translate

Tuesday 24 November 2015

‘I have four sex toys that I help myself with, I encourage women to have it – Tinsel Actress, JOJU MOSE

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 2.53.03 PM
One of the lead actresses in the popular TV show Tinsel, Joju Mose gets up close and personal in this interview with This Day where she talks about her career, sex life and why she prefers sex toys when no man is around.


You are apparently new on the screen. How did you debut on TV?
It started with a call from my friend. He’s been so supportive. He’s a director, Alex Mouth. He just called me from the blues, and was like come for casting. And I went to Magodo and instead of casting, I got a script. It was in Protégé. I was the food seller. Since then, it’s been jobs and jobs and jobs and it’s been fun.

How would you describe your journey?
It’s been great. I thank God for the favours because there are some actors and actresses out there that are struggling even though it looks like a struggle, it seem easy maybe because it’s what I’ve always loved to do. Whenever I’m on set I’m extra happy, it’s like being on set gives me that inner accomplishment. When I’m getting out of the house and going to work, my ginger is always on the high side. I am always happy to work. So it’s been a very fantastic journey.

What are some of the jobs you have starred in?
I’ve starred in Close Door, A Good Day to Die On, that’s currently running on Africa Magic. I’ve starred in The Perfect Union. It’s also currently running on Africa Magic. I’ve done like six films.

How did you get on Tinsel?
It was a miracle that’s what I would say because I did not audition for Tinsel, even when I got the call to come get my script, I hung-up. I’m like who is joking with me because I didn’t go for the audition. It was still like a dream. When Tinsel first started and I used to watch it on AIT, I would just sit down and be like one day I know I’m going to be here. I was young then. And today, I just found myself on Tinsel. I got the call after I acted on Protégé.

Apart from Tinsel which other TV series are you currently starring in?
Basically, the TV series that I have currently running is Tinsel.  All Africa Magic stations are currently running Tinsel and it works for me. And because I work on Tinsel, the timing and everything, I haven’t really been able to take up on TV series jobs because I love Tinsel. I love to work on Tinsel. I love the environment and won’t want to be available on one set and they will need me urgently on another set and then I will be disorganized. I have not taken any other soap opera because I cannot merge two soap opera together but I can do Tinsel and some other movies. It works for me that way. And you know that soap opera has to do with sustenance, you have to keep featuring and everything. You really are not in control of the call time, the clashes so I will prefer not to do soap opera for now.

Tell us about growing up?
Growing up was fun and also not fun. It was fun because you have everything you need. It wasn’t fun because there was no freedom of expression especially with my mum. She was a staunch disciplinarian. My mum is a typical Nigeria woman that will slap you when you are wrong outside. But then, it was interesting. I tried my best to make the best out of it. I was very troublesome. I was a handful in secondary school. I broke almost all the rules in school. Probably at some point in my life in secondary school, became the problem child of my set.
Life as a teenager was a bit interesting and not interesting. It was interesting because teenage life is interesting.

You look more like a tomboy. Are you in a relationship at all?
No, I don’t have a boyfriend. I am not a tomboy but I come across as a tomboy to people because I’m always on my snickers, T-shirt and jeans. I feel comfortable in those things. I don’t feel comfortable putting on dresses, gown, they don’t make me work fast. They don’t make me do things fact. I just prefer that simple, on-the-toe kind of dressing. Sometimes I go out without make up, if I see that making up will take a lot of my time. I just go without any make up.

You must have been in one relationship or another at some point in your life. Isn’t it?
You know there are some kind of relationship that you would know, yes, this is a relationship. I have never had kind of relationship. My longest relationship was three and half years. My shortest was a day.

Three and half years, is that not a relationship?
It wasn’t a relationship like that. For the three and half years, it was off and on.

Why?
The guy wasn’t committed and at some point I was oh I have had enough. Now I need to focus on something else besides love.

Do you yearn for a serious relationship?
Not yet because I’m not ready for anything serious. Relationships are time consuming and a distraction to me. And right now, it’s me, myself, my career, my family and my happiness. A man in the picture is not what I want right now. If something comes up, I don’t think it would be with an Africa man.

Why?
I am not really into African guys.

Have you dated a white guy before?
Yes and it was a fantastic relationship. But he had to travel back to his base. And I wasn’t willing to leave my country because it was at that point I was about to take my career by the horn and just make something out of it. I couldn’t have left at that point.

What is the difference between dating a white guy and dating a Nigerian guy?
They are more loving. They really know what love is. They don’t expect you to change. Their love is not attached to some certain features or certain things about you. So, if they love you, they love you for who and what you are. Most especially Nigerian men expect you to change for them. They expect their love can change you. They are sentimental in thinking. When a woman wants to start working and wants to do something that will benefit her life, they tend to want to read meaning to it. I have met a couple of guys that are like that; in fact, the ones I have met are just like that.  And I’m like I can’t deal with this.

Now that you do not have a boyfriend, what do you do when you have urge for sex?
Hmmm… When I want to have sex, what do I do? I touch myself. I have sex toys that I help myself with sometimes. I think every woman should have sex toys. I’m of that opinion that sex is scared. So I don’t just have sex. For me sex creates a bond so I rather create a bond with an object, which is my vibrator than create a bond with another human being. Whether we like it or not when you have sex with somebody, you are connected to that person. Take it or leave it, you are connected. And sometimes you don’t need too many multiple connections. Some people will tell you meet a friend and do friends with benefit. But how many people do you want to do friends with benefit with? I’m this kind of person that, even sometimes, my job is too demanding for any man to even want to be with me. You are on set and someone will be there having this insecurity in his head. I don’t have time for that. That kills my morale. So instead of being in a relationship with somebody I would rather be in friendship. So if sex happens it happens and if we see that we are still connected after the sex, we kick it off if we feel we can kick it off but if it’s too stressful to handle, let’s just remain friends. Let’s not even bother.

Like how many sex toys do you have?
About four, the G-Spot stimulator, the rabbit, vibrator and one other, I can’t remember the name right now.

Have you ever falling in love before?
Oh yes, when I was still very naïve (laughs).

How old were you?
I was still quite on the young side I was twenty-one. As at 20, 21, I was naïve. My being naïve was because my family is a strict family. We were not allowed to explore some certain things. So even as at university there were some things my inner mind will tell me, you dare not try it, if mummy catches you. But at some point I was like, I need to take my life in my hands right now and become something for myself, not something for people or something for my parents. It had to be something for me.

How did you parent react to it when you decided to do things you own way?
I’m a handful. I have a mind of my own. I do what I want to do. If I take permission from you it’s because I respect you. I still have a mind of my own. And it went back as far as secondary school. I broke almost all the rules in school. But it was just part of exploring. Now Nigerian parents always would take exploring for rebellion because they don’t understand their children that much. And it is due to not having enough communication channels with your children.

You were once quoted to have said you don’t mind having sex on set with Ramson Nouah or John Dumelo. How did you parents take this for instance?
I called my dad. As soon as the news broke, I called my dad. That’s what I do. I communicate. When I wanted to take my life into my hands and become what I wanted to become, I called my parents together and told them I want to be an actress. I have always worked, dreamt and lived my life an actress. And I would become an actress, not a banker, not head of something you guys want me to be. So on this issue, I had to call my dad and told him that there is news in circulation, just in case anybody tells you, I didn’t mean it that way. I was like you know sometimes we say things and the media get to twist the whole it and my dad said, hmm I understand.

So did you really mean that?
I would not go back on my words I’ve always had a crush on Ramson Nouah. And I believe every woman have a crush on some guys somewhere. The fact that I let my own known does make me evil or bad, a dirty girl or something. And though I did not mean it like if we are on set we are going to have sex right there. When you see somebody you crush on and you are love struck sometimes, you even forget to do things you are supposed to do staring at that person alone. Yes I like John Dumelo. I like Ramson Nouah. I like a couple of other actors, it doesn’t mean I want to stripe you naked right there and sag the hell out of you.

What is your take on acting nude?
Someone like me for instance, if I get a script, if the reason for me to go nude is sensible enough, why not? But there should be a story behind you going nude.

Some people will think that you are trying to be controversial in order to get noticed in the industry?
I’m not a controversial person. I am just being myself. I am an out spoken person who says it, as it is not minding who or how anybody will be affected about it. So far what I say makes sense.  I am not out here to please anybody. Yes, people will like me, people will hate me, people will hiss at me probably when they see me come up on their screen but then some people will love me and adore me and say she’s good. You cannot satisfy everyone in the world but you can do your bit in life by being yourself. If at all you don’t have any accomplishment in life, living your life the way you will love to live your life with no regrets, and even if you have regrets, it’s just enough accomplishment. So basically, if people see me as controversial because I’m myself, it’s their opinion. And if they see me as bad because I talk about sex, which is normal to every human being, every human being indulges in sex. I don’t see any reason why how I live my life should affect anybody. I’m not controversial. I am just being myself. We have hypocrite around. I am not a hypocritical person. I will say it as it is and what it is.

What is the worst thing that has been said about you?
Really, I don’t take what people say about me personal. Is there opinion and they are entitled to their opinion. I don’t let want people say get to me. I am who I am. When you get close to me, you’ll find out that I might not be who you think I am. Sometimes people look and say okay, somebody that is this out spoken should be like this even without meeting you. But I really don’t care what people think because I’m living my life. I’m being myself. If you cannot be yourself then you have a problem. It’s just that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment