Translate

Sunday 20 December 2015

How I proposed to my wife at my grandma’s funeral — Femi Branch tells his LOVE story!

The Branchs
 
Nollywood actor, Femi Branch, is married to Tola, a marketing executive. They share the story of their blissful union with Punch. See excerpts below:



How and when did you meet your wife?
Femi: I met my wife a few years ago at a church in Abeokuta, which I was invited to. She sang during the service and I was captivated by her voice. I could not restrain the urge to speak to her after service and we became friends thereafter.

How did the relationship develop?
Femi: We started talking after that day and met once in a while because I lived in Lagos while she schooled in Abeokuta.

At what point did you propose to her?
Femi: I proposed to her at my grandmother’s funeral in Badagry. It just occurred to me that she would be my wife. My grandmother was very fond of her before she passed away and I did not want to miss the chance of marrying her since I had lost my grandmother. So I decided to propose.

Was she reluctant to accept the proposal?
Femi: She was not reluctant; she accepted instantly. My family members were present too.

What were the initial attractions?
Tola: He cracks jokes a lot. Also, he is a patient listener and always offers solutions or suggestions to any problem.

How did you feel when he proposed?
Tola: I was excited like any other woman would have felt. It is the dream of every woman to be proposed to someday.

Was your family in support of your decision to get married?
Femi: Everybody loved her and when I mentioned that she was my choice, there was no objection.

Were you dating someone else before you met her?
Femi: Yes, I was but I lost interest in them after I met her because I wanted to get serious with my relationship with her.

Did you nurse feelings of being jilted you while you were dating?
Tola: Why would any woman think of disappointment at the beginning of courtship? I think every person should be positive in all things. I never thought of it and he did not disappoint me.

Did you encounter challenges immediately after marriage?
Femi: It was not easy then because we just had a baby and tried to settle down. Also, my wife lived abroad before we got married but she relocated permanently to Nigeria in order to marry me. She wanted me to relocate abroad but I could not because of my job. She had to take the bold decision to relocate and it was a function of love.

Tola: It is normal to encounter slight challenges when you are newly married. That transition from being a spinster to a married woman is beautiful but a bit challenging because you no longer think of only yourself.

Has marriage deprived you of some privileges as an actor?
Femi: I would not say marriage has deprived me of anything, rather it has given me some privileges. It makes me more respectable and focused on everything. My fans respect me more when they find out I am married.

Do you miss being a bachelor?
Femi: Not really. I lived with my parents for a long time and never really had much independence because there was no need for it. I did not live by myself for up to two years before I got married, so there is really nothing to miss.

How would you describe your wife?
Femi: She is very loving and good with the kids. She knows when to apply discipline and love. She is also supportive and smiles always. Sometimes, her folks are not aware when we have issues. She is an ideal wife and a blessing to us.

Is your husband really as difficult and mean as he is in movies?
Tola: Femi is a good actor and he portrays his characters well. In reality, he is a different person. He plays a lot, cracks jokes and is not mean in any way.

How would you describe the experience of being married?
Tola: It has been wonderful and we have been able to complement each other. Every marriage has its challenges but with God and understanding, you will be able to make it work.

How often do you have misunderstandings as a couple?
Femi: It is normal for couples in every relationship to experience some form of misunderstanding. We have misunderstandings over different things; they are not regular, so I do not keep a list of them.

What are some of the things he does to upset you?
Tola: I cannot think of anything he has done to get me upset.

Who apologises first when there is a misunderstanding?
Femi: My wife apologises first always. Sometimes I let go of my ego and apologise.
What would you like to change about him?
Tola: I love my husband the way he is.

Do you operate separate bank accounts?
Femi: We have a joint bank account for the upkeep of the home but we have separate responsibilities that we handle at home. Whenever she is unable to handle the things she is supposed to, I relieve her so the home does not suffer, and vice versa.

How do you spend time with your family?
Femi: The people that pay the biggest price for fame are families of celebrities because they are the ones that miss their absence or deal with what people have to say about them. I am close to my children. When I am home, I do the cooking for everybody and other chores. I try to make them feel and enjoy my presence when I am at home.

How have you been able to protect your marriage from scandals?
Femi: There is no scandal to talk about. As a celebrity, your first task is to protect your marriage and family. That is why a lot of celebrities protect their spouses from the media to avoid unnecessary attention. But sometimes people still come up with a lot of other things and that is why I put up pictures of my family on social media. I like to show off my family for people to know that celebrities can have a happy family, but I do not overdo it.

How do you deal with erring fans from the opposite sex?
Tola: It is normal for male actors to have more female fans and vice versa. God has blessed us and we have not had fans that overstepped their boundaries. We relate with them well without restrictions; Nigerians are wonderful people.

What would be your advice to intending couples?
Femi: They should be sure of what they want and that the person really cares. They should not hide their flaws so their spouse will determine if they can tolerate them. If your spouse loves you, he or she would stick with you even at your low moments.
Tola: They should put God first and pray always. A lot of patience is important too. They must always communicate effectively and talk always too.

What pet names do you call your wife?
Tola: I call him D.
Femi: I call her T. She calls me D, but embellishes it when she needs something from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment